Benefits of surfing
Well where to start???
There are so many benefits to surfing, whether you are lucky enough to surf several times a week, you’re a weekend warrior or just surf a couple of times a year on your holidays.
As instructors at Beach Shack Surf School we are lucky enough to surf most days a week, even when the conditions aren’t great we are getting in.......Why? Well that’s an easy answer. But we also wanted to highlight the fact that even if you just surf once on your annual holiday the benefits are huge.
So here we go:
1. Surfing is great for fitness especially when you are learning. Your heart and lungs will be getting a good workout as you paddle for waves, pop up and then walk or paddle back out to get another wave.
You will be increasing your strength from pushing up to standing, paddling and walking, plus and you will be toning your core muscles when balancing on the board etc.
But don’t worry it’s not like normal exercise, like going to the gym for example. We have all said that surfing is the only exercise that we have done which is really fun, the whole time. Because of the buzz you get from being in the sea and the adrenaline rush you get when you’re on the wave means you never think about surfing as exercise. Yeah sure you get tired, but at the same time you just keep going and going. You will burn loads of calories in a surf lesson because you’re using so many muscle groups, so you will deserve a good meal after!
2. The social aspect of surfing is great. We have met so many people just chatting in the line up and obviously hanging out with friends and sharing the stoke (and the epic fails) is awesome. If you have a surf lesson you meet new people and again get to share the experience with others. We often find that people that have surf lessons together become friends and create lasting memories together.
3. Surfing is so great for the mind, your mood and reducing stress levels. When your surfing you seem to forget everything else that’s going on in your life. Whether you’re a surfing pro or a total beginner, being in amongst the waves means you don’t have chance to think about anything else apart from where are the best waves, how beautiful your surroundings are, how amazing that last wave was.....the list goes on! Exercise in general releases endorphins (the happy hormone) so you feel awesome, especially afterwards when you are drinking a hot chocolate or a beer, reflecting on the session you have just had.
4. Getting at one with nature sounds a bit odd, but honestly it is one of the best bits of surfing, especially in Cornwall. Not only are you looking at the beautiful coast, your actually amongst it. We have been so lucky here at Beach Shack to have surfed with Dolphins and seals, we get to see all types of sea birds flying so low you think they may hit you (they don’t). The water here is gorgeous, even when it is hammering it down with rain and blowing a gale the ocean looks amazing and on those sunny clean days, the waves literally sparkle as you ride along them. Walking along the beach is great, but the opportunity to be in the sea is a whole different experience.
5. If it’s sunny you will be sucking up the vitamin D which is great for your body (bones and skin) even coated in sun cream. Being in the sun always helps to promote a positive mind and will make you feel even happier.
6. Loads of studies show that regular exercise, surfing included, increases the positive benefits that sleep brings. Sleep is important because it allows time for your muscles (including your brain) to repair and, let’s face it, there’s nothing quite like the wonderful feeling of waking up in the morning feeling refreshed. I know when I haven’t surfed I don’t sleep as well.
Surfing is not the easiest sport to learn. It takes time but the rewards are huge and in just one lesson you will progress so much. You will not only enjoy all the physical and mental benefits that surfing has to offer, but you’ll also have proven to yourself that you can achieve goals whether that’s just trying it or standing up for example. The self gratification of surfing is huge, especially when you are first starting out as you improve quicker.
Anyway as you can see there are loads and loads of benefits of surfing and I have probably missed a load. If you want to see and feel the benefits for yourself, but you want some help to get into surfing or just want to try it out, let us know. Here at Beach Shack Surf School we love the chance to share the amazingness of surfing and seeing our clients getting the buzz is the most rewarding feeling!
See you in the waves soon!!